Monday, May 2, 2011

Talking Point #5- Kahne & Westheimer

In the Service of What? The Politics of Service Learning, by Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer (Extended Comments)

Extension from Courtney's post:

I definitely agree with Courtney's post on the importance of service learning projects.  Presenting the idea to high school students might not receive the most enthusiastic responses, but if they were required to do so I believe majority of the students would end up enjoying completeing a project of the sort.  Also I wasn't aware of the various types of service learning projects either.  I have participated in numerous charity events and volunteer work that I didn't even realize were service learning projects.  Courtney makes a great point in talking about how good of an experience any type of service learning project can be and I also believe that an project like this should be required for high school students to graduate.  They may not believe so at the time or immediately after, but they will eventually realize the good they did and the benefits from completeing a service learning project.

In addition, after completeing the in class assesment type handout with the chart on it displaying the two categories, "Service Learning as CHARITY" and "Service Learning as CHANGE," it made me really wonder about the types of projects I had done thus far at different points in my life.  I wondered why I really did these projects, what my feelings were behind the reasoning, and which category they would fall into.  We also modified the chart on the board and made it into a venn diagram because as a class and Dr. Bogad realized, there were some that fell into both categories.  Our discussion covered numerous topics and truly made me wonder if in changing/improving the Institutions meant changing from where they are at this point in time and completely disregarding the improvements we have made from decades ago until today, or if the changes were in reference to continuing the improvements and hopefully one day coming to almost an entire transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment